Church Road, Coalbrookdale, Telford, Shropshire TF8 7NS
In the year 1851 there was no such parish as Coalbrookdale, although the name of the village was famous in many parts of the world by reason of the renowned ironworks; the village of Coalbrookdale
was originally part of the parish of Madeley. The earliest record of worship in the Dale is found at the time of the rebuilding of Madeley Parish Church in 1794-7; at that time a room at the
Coalbrookdale British Boys’ School (provided by the Coalbrookdale Company) was used for Sunday worship and the administration of the sacraments. In 1850 a room in the school was licensed for church
worship and became the first formal Anglican church in the village.
In 1845 the parish of St. Luke, Ironbridge, was created from part of Madeley and, on the 25th July 1851, the parish was again divided to form the parish of Holy Trinity, Coalbrookdale, taking also some land from the neighbouring parish of Dawley Magna.
Abraham Darby IV had been baptized an Anglican at Little Wenlock in 1849 and promised to endow the new parish with £100 a year. With the support of the Darbys a new church was planned. The foundation stone was laid by Abraham’s wife, Matilda Frances, on 11th December 1851 and the completed building was consecrated by the Bishop of Hereford on 25th July 1854.
A comprehensive guide to this church can be dowloaded below.